Monday, September 15, 2008

Everyone knows it's windy...

Yesterday we got the remnants of Ike, which meant the wind blew and blew and blew all day, with major gusts. The pine cones came out of the trees, the apples fell to the ground, and Nature pruned many dead branches, not to mention removing many live trees and re-routing traffic through this afternoon.

The power outages were the big topic of conversation wherever I went today. I think I had the best story, as my sister, who works for the school system, called me at six o'clock this morning and said, "Do you have power?" When I told her I did, she said, "Will you watch TV to see if I have school?"

She did. When she hung up, she commented she didn't know what she was going to do about brushing her teeth, as they have a well and a pump. I wished her luck and yelled at the girls to turn out at least four of the lights which they had on upstairs.


Tonight I went to the county seat, and on the way back drove through the city next to our township. Several businesses had those signs which use the clear plastic letter-cards; you know, like the ones people rent to put in their front yards to advertise, "Lordy, lordy...honk for Nona, she's forty." Anyway, many of them were, well, shuffled. My favorite, in front of a restaurant, said, "then gree food" and on the next line, it added, "best wart."

I'll bet that really brought them in tonight.

No comments: