Friday, July 11, 2008

Thriller in the White House

Rocky was sitting at the breakfast table, and he just now asked, “If Abraham Lincoln was the fifth president, why isn’t he on the nickel?”

As Kiki would say, “That was random.” We all stopped and stared at him.

One thing I have learned is that there is usually some convoluted logic to these thoughts he has, so I investigated further. It turns out that he thought that we should have presidents on money based on when they served. According to this theory, JFK should be on the thirty-five cent coin, not the fifty cent piece. Now that I think about it, with the dropping value of the dollar, this is not completely out of the realm of reality.

Anyway, we asked Rocky to list the presidents in order so that he could discover the flaw in his logic.

He began: George Washington, John Adams, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Michael Jackson…

Whoa. Since it was pre-coffee, my mind wasn’t functioning fully yet, and history is not my strong suit, but even I caught that one. Now I am faced with visuals: moonwalking to the press conference, question and answer sessions punctuated with WOO!, and instead of Camp David, trips to Neverland.

A half hour later, we have finished the presidential clarification lecture, and we are moving on to adding and subtracting mixed numbers. I can’t wait to see what comes next.

No comments: