Thursday, December 24, 2009

The gift of peace

Rocky has taken up lying and stealing again in his annual traditional celebration of the holiday--this year he was a "last minute shopper" and waited until the week before to pull out those old behaviors and share them with us. However, the steal/lie/steal/lie cycle is as strong as it ever was despite the late arrival, so I had him under my supervision for the day yesterday, and since I am such an awesome mom, I used his powers for good and had him do housecleaning, including the freezer and baseboards. It helped re-energize me, of course, and we got so much accomplished. Plus, he went to bed about eight last night because he was so tired.

Today the kids are in the living room, entertaining themselves. One of them will say "1-2-3, be quiet," and then they will sit silently for 15 to 20 minutes until someone breaks and speaks. Then the other two hang on for another 20 minutes or so, and I sit and blissfully breathe in and out in the silence.

This has been a long year, one which was filled with stress and sadness, and today, the day before the holiday, we are having peace finally. I got my gift already, and I wish the same for all of you who read this.

No comments: